Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Reading 3

     Chapter Five was a pretty natural progression from our Web 2.0 Smack-down presentations. This chapter is all about web tools, and how they would be very apt in the life of an educator. As an artist, web tools like Teachertube are a bit less useful to me professionally, while I've been seeking out a means of cataloging websites (my favorites bar is already full) like Diigo.

     Web collectors like Diigo are a convenient means for educators to store web addresses and web tools, but I foresee myself creating a library of artistic references, Lynda lessons, and the list of social media and professional networks I'm subscribed to. For those not well versed with the ins and outs of microblogging, it's a glorified way of saying you use social media sites like Twitter. The concept being your microblog's content can be accessed through a social media hub, but yours is not the only content available, and your content seems microscopic compared to the masses of other content being shown on a social media site.


      I never realized there were wikis other than Wikipedia. I mean, it's obvious now, but i though Wikipedia was a unique concept and other "wiki" sites were just individual blogs. Wikispaces is one of the best ways I know of making collaborative content for the web, but that isn't saying much. I could see myself using Google Docs more often. Google's document sharing platform can transfer most file types for a variety of programs, so should I ever have another artist to collaborate with, Google Docs will make it even simpler.

(Andy Warhol and Jean-Michel Basquiat, collaborating artists) 

     Another resource brought up in this chapter was podcasting, which kind of surprised me, because I didn't know they had much of a professional value. While I can't readily apply podcasting to my own studies, it would be an invaluable too for those learning a less visual medium. 





     The last lesson of the chapter is a good summary of this course. Making your presence on the internet professional, is tantamount to success. If the first thing people learn about you when searching for you on the internet is that embarrassing Twitter photo from your High school graduation party, they might not seek your professional expertise.

Good luck, and thanks for visiting!


    

                           

3 comments:

  1. Nice post Connor. I like how you covered all of the content from the reading without adding fluff. Your writing style is very easy to read and has personality to it instead of looking robotic. You had a great use of images in the post that helped break up the different topics that you talked about. All in all, nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connor,
    Great post! The layout with pictures and small chunks of text made it visually appealing and easy to read. I like how you explained each piece that the chapter touched on but it wasn't like reading the chapter all over again. You highlighted the main points and made them understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that you used pictures of the logos of the things you were talking about to break up the space. I also thought it was crazy how many things that "Wiki" had going for it, I always just thought that Wikipedia was its own thing and that all this other "wiki" stuff was something else. But I like how you related it to your profession, obviously TeacherTube is useless (essentially) to you, but there are plenty of other ways for you to use this stuff to benefit your career.

    ReplyDelete